I worked as a litigator at Minter Ellison Rudd Watts for two and a half years. In that time, I did most of my work under partners Zane Kennedy and Aaron Lloyd. We secured several meaningful wins for a wide range of clients.
- Junior solicitor in successful appeal to Court of Appeal and successful opposition to leave to appeal to Supreme Court in case about the intentional economic torts
- Junior solicitor for the insured in one of the largest insurance claims from Christchurch earthquakes, and secured settlement over $10m above total sum insured
- Successfully set aside a statutory demand involving complex disputes regarding the assignment of debts, and secured very favourable settlement shortly before Court of Appeal due to hear the other party’s appeal.
- Drafted submissions for the New Zealand Historic Places Trust for sentencing of two defendants for damage to Māori pā sites, resulting in largest fines awarded to date for historic places offending
- Researched and drafted submissions for appeals to High Court and Court of Appeal about regulation and structure of the New Zealand wholesale electricity market
- Appeared in High Court and District Court on contractual, regulatory, criminal and insolvency claims – as well as in several negotiations and mediations
- Successfully prosecuted animal welfare offences pro bono for the SPCA in District Court
- Worked with senior counsel, including Queen’s Counsel, on a number of matters